Thursday, December 29, 2011

Switching donor & buying more sperm

So after purchasing ten vials in hopes of 2 or more babies, we are down to two vials and no babies.  This is our dilemma…

I don't know if we should we switch the last two vials for another donor (our guy has been sold out forever) and then purchase another 5 of that new guy?  I just confirmed with my insurance that if I were to do 6 Dr. assisted cycles by age 35 (this May) my insurance would cover IVF.  We have already done 6 cycles at home that don’t count.  If we purchase 5 more then we will have enough for 6 more tries and one more for IVF.  God willing it will happen sooner and we keep the other swimmers for baby #2. 

Also we are stumped on the new donor selection.  The first time we went all out paid for all info and such.  We had a long list of requirements that by the time we purchased most were off the list.  Now I hate to admit, money is a real issue.  We have wanted a known donor but that cost $100 more each vial.  Is it wrong that I am having these thoughts?  We are looking at 3 basic traits now Caucasian, blue/green eyes and over 5’7’.  Honestly this is just to make the baby look like it is part of both of us as much as we can tell from a computer screen.  We would be happy with a polka dotted baby at this moment as long as he/she were healthy and happy.  I am starting to feel like I may be over thinking the whole thing or on the flip side not thinking enough this time around.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Are you tied to a particular bank for any reason? I ask because Northwest doesn't charge more for willing-to-be-known (I think most of their donors fall into that category) and they're cheaper than a lot of other banks to begin with. I guess it'll depend on whether you want your kids to have the same donor--if you do it might make sense to switch, if not, just use the last two and worry about #2 when you get there.

    ReplyDelete